Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Forked Lake















We had a nice time at Forked Lake the past couple of days. It was a bit nervy at first since we arrived with steady rain that lasted from Monday until Tuesday morning but it finally broke and the sun came out. It was very relaxing and fun hiking down to the Racquette River along the canoe carry. We passed by a crew of 6 scouts heading slowly through the carry. They were an absolute mess of hanging pots, grocery bags, and coolers with gear strewn across the entire carry. Somedays I miss being a guides.... and some days I don't :)


We did a little bit of canoeing and fishing although the fish didn't bite. It was great seeing the family of loons and listening to the owls at night. It was difficult to have to pack up and head home this morning but at the same time it is nice to be home. We did stop by Hoss's in Long Lake and it made me remember why I always went to Custard's Last Stand across the street. My hot fudge sunday was tiny. Hoss himself was actually there working at a sidewalk sale. I could see the miserly smirk in his obnoxious, whiskered face.


Hope you enjoy the pics.

2 comments:

your sis said...

Great photos. It looks like a great trip. I still haven't got the boats out this year.... It has been a crazy summer. I am jealous for sure- and students start arriving back on campus any day now.

Judy said...

Glad you had a good time. Take advantage of your last few days of freedom. I always enjoyed the start of a new year. (not the first week)
Good photos.
I talked to a volunteer at the Gallery and she said she and her family were going camping in the Adirondacks. I related to her some the adventures you and your Dad had.