Tuesday, November 24, 2009

School Vacation


Beth and I are looking forward to vacation. It always seems as though a shortened vacation week feels , as long, if not longer than, a regular week. I wasn't going to mention it and possibly jinx it, but felt I would go ahead and let everyone know, I was nominated (along with 2 others) for teacher of the year at Colchester High School. Honestly I don't think I'll get it, as the other two candidates are very good teachers who have taken on leadership roles in the school (I typically veer away from them), however it does make me feel good that other faculty members see and appreciate what I bring to the school. At this point the vote goes back to the faculty and then the students. I'm not sure when the decision will be made, but I am happy regardless.

I have finished another course towards my masters degree. So far so good. I'm almost 1/3 of the way through (1 year in a 3 1/2 year program). It's amazing how quickly it is going and makes me wish I had joined this program years ago.

In school we are working on our 10 year NEASC high school evaluation. I am a subchair of the leadeship committee and it seems to be going well. We still have some work to do, but we are on track. We are also looking at the possibility of restructuring what we do in science at the school to see if we can better meet the needs of students especially as the Statewide standards tests become more important. This could be a lot of work, or very little. It's hard to tell right now but my hope is that it won't be a lot of work for little to no pay off.

4 comments:

Your favorite sister said...

Funny you mention the reaccredidation- S was asked to be a student rep on her schools program.

Congrats on the nomination. You are my favorite chemistry teacher. I am proud of you and love you.

Judy said...

I am pulling for you. I got teacher of the month once and that was nice. I remember those evaluations. Ours use to take 2 years in the prep and then you have the follow ups. That is not the fun part of teaching.
By the way if I don't talk to you and Beth have a great Thanksgiving.

Your Loving Mother said...

Dad and I agree that you are ALWAYS High School Teacher of the Year. And your sister holds the same honor at the college level.
I know you are pleased. If it were up to the students, I know you would get it. And THAT is what is important!

Dad said...

As always, you and your sister make us swell with pride.